The Spectator

2018 Midterms are an Event to Remember

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Midterms are an Event to Remember

Parker Amoroso, Managing Editor of Features

The 2018 midterm elections were one of the most talked about and prevalent midterm elections in American history, as Americans all around the country headed to the polls in unprecedented numbers. Typical numbers for registered voter turnout in midterm elections hover around 40 percent; however, this November, around 48% of registered voters turned out in what was the highest turnout by percentage since at least 1970 and the first time midterm turnout broke 100 million, according to The New York Times.

As for Lake Forest Academy, the school wasn’t immune to the election buzz. In fact, LFA played a role in turning out the vote with numerous signs posted around the school encouraging voting. Even some LFA seniors who turned eighteen before the election were able to vote, marking an exciting time for many.

“I did vote. I voted because I wanted to and because it is important to participate in such events,” said Liam Larsen, a Lake Forest Academy senior.

Much of the excitement was a result of the United States’ current political climate. Highly polarized sides and strong, and in many cases controversial, rhetoric from Democrats and Republicans alike fired up the base of both parties. In addition, high-profile events cast in political overtones, such as a migrant caravan headed for the U.S. border and the Kavanaugh hearings, made Americans feel that their votes were more important than ever so that their voices needed to be heard.

“Voting is very important, it is the backbone of our country. Voting in elections is how you as a citizen make sure that your views are represented in our government,” added Liam.

As for the pressure to vote, most didn’t seem to mind, seeing it simply as an extension of the aforementioned political atmosphere.

I think there was a lot more emphasis on voting and surrounding the election, particularly for a midterm. You can’t force anyone to vote but it is important to remained people that they have the option to vote and that they should take advantage of it,” continued Liam.

These divisions were confirmed as the House of Representatives and the Senate swung opposites ways on election night, with the Democrats taking over the House, and the Republicans keeping and making gains on their majority in the Senate.

In the end though, regardless of the outcome, it was an event to remember those members of the Lake Forest Academy community who got the chance to vote and make their voices heard in the political spectrum for the first time.

“Being able to vote for the first time [was] a memorable occasion,” concluded Liam.