The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

Prom: A festival of lights on the Theater on the Lake

Photo by David Atas
The venue decorations that Prom Committee planned.

Planning Prom is something that starts a year and a half before the dance. Last year’s sophomore student council toured four venues, eventually deciding the Theater on the Lake in Chicago. They chose this venue due to the adequate space and beautiful view looking out on the lake.        

The next step in this process is the formation of the prom committee. The Prom Committee began working towards prom in early January deciding the theme, decorations, table assignments, announcements, and more. The first thing they did was brainstorm the theme (the most exciting part!). After lots of careful consideration the theme festival of lights was chosen. Inspired by the movie, Tangled, the prom committee decided on a purple color scheme with lantern-like lighting to match as well. 

As a prom committee, we were excited to finally get to see the venue. When we arrived, we enjoyed seeing our centerpieces and color scheme coming to life. Unfortunately, the food situation was a bit of a disappointment to some people due to some confusion at the venue. The tacos, that were once meant to be served family style, ended up running out before the waiters could even reach the tables, leaving people waiting till 9pm to eat their dinner.

After dinner came the dancing, which is oftentimes the highlight of everyone’s night. Prom would not be prom without LFA’s notorious mosh pit to every song. DJ Deadpool carried the night with his DJ skills, along with the emcee which LFA has not had in recent years. In fact, for many people, they enjoyed the energy that the emcee brought to the function. Gabi Stewart ‘24 said, “The emcee was good. I liked that he was interactive. He danced with us even though we didn’t know who he was and that was pretty fun!” 

Lily Botero ‘25 summed up what many people felt, “I think the playlist was pretty basic, but the emcee was crazy. I like how he was so close to the stage and if everyone was facing him, it felt like a concert.”

Overall, this prom continued to be one of the highlights to many students’ school year. Although there are bound to be mixed opinions on the night, our energy and spirit that LFA brought into prom was sure to build up the experience.  

Verity Cutaia ‘25 another member of this year’s prom committee said, “Prom this year was an experience to remember, and I can’t wait to see what next year’s Prom committee will do.”