The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

Recap of this year’s themed weekends and off campus outings

Students+and+faculty+watch+the+Barbie+movie+in+the+dance+room.++
Photo by Dave Atas
Students and faculty watch the Barbie movie in the dance room.

Activities around campus are a vital part of how the Lake Forest Academy community functions. The weekend programs are a great way for students to connect with others and find new interests. These weekly activities bring boarding and day students together in an engaging way outside of the typical classroom experiences. Numerous programs were offered at various times and locations to appeal to as many students as possible. Aside from the common Target runs and mall trips, there have been many creative approaches to the schedules in order to maintain interest in the activities offered around campus throughout the week. Emily Kalis, Head of Residential Life and the Assistant Dean of Students, explained her intention behind the programs she has assembled: “It’s important to be able to attract students to campus in many different ways. Every student at LFA has different things that excite them and make them want to participate. Whether it’s athletics, artsy content, or new ways to make friends, we do our best to try and accommodate that.” The 2023-2024 school year proved to be a successful year of community activities, events, and celebrations that fostered connection outside of the classroom. The top 10 most memorable activities/weekends from this year include:

1. Bubble Soccer: Bubble soccer is not your average sport at LFA. Bubble soccer is the act of playing soccer while partially encased in a blown-up sphere. The plastic sphere allows for friendly competition and playful banter, covering most of the torso and head, making any aggressive movements rebound safely. Students enjoyed this activity because they were able to play a popular sport in a unique way. 
  2. Disney 100 weekend: The Disney 100 weekend was filled with many activities based on the most popular Disney characters. The characters chosen were some of the fan favorites from movies and television shows such as Beauty and the Beast, The Incredibles, and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Students engaged in themed trivia, movie nights, and games around The Students Center and The Quad. There was even a trip to the 90-minute Disney exhibition in Chicago. 
  3. Movie nights: LFA movie nights were a great way for students and faculty to bond over their favorite films. The category of movies ranged from comedy to historical fiction to Disney to Science Fiction encapsulating the varying interests of LFA viewers. Clubs such as UNIDOS, ACU, GSA, and many more have sponsored movie nights this year, showcasing their cultures through these films. Friday night spent with others can be much more fun than one spent alone. Snacks and drinks relating to the theme of the movie have also been offered. 
  4. Laser Tag: During the Mario-themed weekend, laser tag was one of the most popular activities among students. This was a new activity hosted on campus. Luigi’s Haunted Reid Laser Tag was hosted in the Atlas dorm this year. Students were also given decorative face shields for the competition. Students enjoyed this activity because of the friendly competitive atmosphere. 
  5. Winter Wellness Wonderland: The Winter Wellness Wonderland was a great way for students to alleviate stress during finals season. There was an outing to the Christkindlmarket, a traditional Christmas market held annually at Daley Plaza, in downtown Chicago. There was also a trip to see the Chicago Symphony Orchestra that evening. Both major outings were extremely festive and helped everyone get in the holiday spirit. 
  6. Trips to Chicago: This past year there were numerous outings to the city of Chicago. There was even a Chicago-themed weekend! Some of the most popular activities were the Museum of Science and Industry, shopping on Michigan Avenue, music concerts, and the Disney 100 exhibition. These programs have been a great way for students to explore different parts of the city and learn more about its history. 
  7. Halloween: Unlike past years, Halloween was celebrated on campus for 3 weeks straight. Students and faculty participated in many spooky activities centered around the most popular Halloween traditions, such as pumpkin carving, a corn maze, and even haunted houses. These activities received great feedback around campus. Along with the basic Halloween programs, Girl Up hosted their Make a Run for It! Fundraiser on the cross country course. This activity was a super popular Halloween-themed run that raised money for charity.
  8. Milwaukee Brewers Baseball Game: Apart from many local outings, there was also a trip to Wisconsin to watch a Major League Baseball game. LFA students visited the American Family Field for a Milwaukee Brewers Baseball game. They enjoyed cheese curds, hot dogs, popcorn, and many other fun snacks. This was a great opportunity for baseball lovers to see their favorite players live in action. 
  9. Lunar New Year: There were various special activities during the weekend of February 9th to 11th in honor of celebrating the Lunar New Year. There was a special dinner held in the Students Center and dumpling making. As well as an organized trip to Mitsuwa, a Japanese grocery store located in Arlington Heights, IL. 
  10. Harry Potter Weekend: Harry Potter weekend marked the introduction to Quidditch at LFA. Quidditch was played on the quad for house cup points. There, Participants were split into teams and given “broomsticks” and the goal was to get the ball through the hoops for different point values. At the same time, players also had to deal with the golden snitch. Students enjoyed the friendly competition for their houses and learning how to play a sport they had only seen or read about in Harry Potter. For people who did not want to play quidditch, there were other options to engage in the Harry Potter festivities. Trivia was hosted in Marshall Field, and the winners were given assorted prizes. There was also an outing to the movie theater to watch Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows 1 and 2