The Spectator

Royal Wedding Rules and Regulations

Ayaan Ahmed, Editor-in-Chief

The Royal Wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on May 19, 2018 is an anticipated event for many people. This is not like any other weddings due to the number of rules and regulations that the bride needs to accord by. There have been numerous questions as to how the American actress will abide by these set of rules. However, after a long process she has met all the ‘requirements’ that have to be met for her to become Royalty.

For the proposal, The Royal Marriages Act of 1772 requires all descendants of the Royal Family to ask for the approval of marriage. Prince Harry has asked Queen Elizabeth for the hand of Meghan Markle, and the Queen has approved of her. However, according to the 1701 Act of Settlement, all royal descendants must also wed a person of a faith other than Roman Catholicism, without excluding the possibility for Atheism as well.

After the proposal, the Stag and Hen parties come about. The Stag party resembles bachelor parties, while the Hen resembles bachelorette parties. The only difference, however, is that these parties are celebrated over the course of a weekend. For example, for Prince Harry hosted Prince William’s Stag party at a country estate, and Pippa Middleton hosted Kate Middleton’s stag party at a ski resort in the French Alps.

You must be wondering if there is a rule on the location of the wedding as well since the royal family are so specific with every detail. However royal wedding has the liberty of taken place anywhere the family decides as long as they keep a tradition. The place of royal weddings has changed over the course of the years, but has traditionally been conducted at the Chapel Royal at St. James Palace, Westminster Abbey, St. Paul’s Cathedral, or St. George’s Chapel.

Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, get married at Westminster Abbey.

According to tradition, the bridesmaids are supposed to be children. However, Meghan Markle has chosen to have a maid of honor, instead of a chief bridesmaid bringing her own taste to the tradition. The difference between the maid of honor and the chief bridesmaid is that the maid of honor has a husband. Many authorities have deemed Markle’s choice of having a maid of honor to be highly unconventional.

Markle’s miniature changes will not change the future traditions. The many regulations and rules brought forth for the royal family is what makes the wedding unique to the rest of the world. It will be expected for people around the world to view this momentous event.

Source: https://www.brides.com/gallery/british-royal-wedding-traditions

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bc9qWgCAXiD/?hl=en&taken-by=kensingtonroyal