The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

Caxy Chats: LFA’s social media presence

Photo by @lfacademy
Opening image of LFA’s Instagram’s famous Caxy Chat reels.

This year, LFA’s active social media presence has made vast advancements, resulting in a substantial increase in student engagement. “Whether it is the Tuesday Takeover or the Travel Takeover”, LFA’s social media account has been filled with students sharing their experiences of being a student at LFA. Caxy Chat with Mr. Tennyson has been a big part of our social media presence. 

This idea originally came from the Admissions and Communications offices, as they were trying to increase LFA’s social media presence. This kind of impromptu street interview approach toward the students and faculty was a perfect fit to show the everyday life of students and what they think about LFA. Most Caxy Chats are based on the theme they choose every month, such as the most recent one about what you most like about LFA. Before November break, the theme changed into more of a holiday theme presenting “What were you most thankful for?” Connecting the interview with a certain theme related to the time period the video was taken makes it more interesting for students to watch the Caxy Chats and also participate in it. 

As the former Dean of Students, Mr. Tennyson worked closely with the students and is always open to listening to the students’ voices. Now as a Head of School, he is willing to “continue the interaction with students and remain engaged in the school life.” He shows up to concerts, sports games, and speakers to be a part of the community and make the students feel like he is an approachable person. Also meeting with various affinity groups once in a while and the all-school president every cycle helps him to keep in touch with the students. This new social media trend of interviewing students on the spot and in hallways made vast advancements in interactions with the students and connecting with their daily lives. 

This interview style has seen great success; Caxy Chat further bonds the beloved Head of School with the student body, which shows that the Head of School cares about LFA’s community members to the general public by following up on what is going on currently. Moreover, Caxy Chat has the potential to expand in the future to include faculty, other staff members, or even alumni, as interviewers or interviewees– further diversifying what LFA perspectives are shared. Consequently, LFA’s social media can grow its online presence and can build a stronger community expanding on to diverse people. The increased presence on social media platforms can also receive more attention. As LFA continues to improve, its active presence on social media could greatly impact the community beneficially.