The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

How to dress for the season of fall

It’s not just the leaves that change when the summer season becomes autumn. Arguably, most importantly, it’s our wardrobes. Packing up summer slips and pulling out fall fleeces signifies the start of the most fashionable season. Get ready for Chicago’s chilly fall with these uptown punk, trench coats, and textured layers.

This season, there’s no need to worry about putting together trendy minimal pieces. What’s in, is  mismatch. On warmer days, wear a striped rugby shirt and a plaid skirt. Or on colder days pull out your long neglected patterned sweaters from 2020 or your brightest cardigans and craziest tights. If you are, however, into that minimal look, trending basics include soft monochrome sweaters and white blouses. Wear them together, apart, whatever suits you, and of course, prepares you for the cold winds of Lake Forest.

Layers layers layers! Essential for a substantial fall wardrobe. Trench Coats resurface every fall. But this year look for new colors and textures. Beige wool is a classic but try yellow leather. For inspiration of mixed fabrics and new colors, look at Miu Miu. Wool and cotton sweaters and leather jackets- all mustard- have taken over their collection

It is so easy to stick with your summer sambas or white sneakers, but if you’re up for it consider changing up your shoe game. Instead of docs this fall, what’s trending are below the knee boots. In a variety of different colors, mid length boots. Think, “I just finished horseback riding and forgot to change my boots.” For inspiration look at saddle strap boots and to tie the outfit together, horsebit belts. 

On campus favorites include varsity shirts and army jackets. Students have been showing up in tee-shirts, sweaters and sweatshirts (⅔ dresscode friendly) with numbers on the chest and strips on the arms. Find these at popular stores, or pull them out of your dads college wardrobe. Army jackets are popular around campus. They protect students on rainy days and the trendy army green compliments any color worn with it. 

Get excited for fall and stay warm out there!