LFA’s latest trends: Business casual meets fashion

Photo by Jessie Ji

Teagan Hubbard ‘24 wears his outfit of all thrifted items: shirt and vest, grey cargo pants, and jewelry and shoes.

By Esti Rosenblatt & Jessie Ji, Photo Editors

The Low Rise:

Once a relic of the 2000’s, low waisted skirts and pants are staples of 2022. The low waist is one of the many trends empowering the feminine silhouette in fashion. Designer brands like Miu Miu, Dolce and Gabbana, Versache by Fendi, and Missoni have committed to the low waist style. Of course around campus, the low waist is worn in a more professional profile, but still features the famed silhouette. At LFA, the low waist is typically worn as a skirt or colored jeans. It can be hard to wear the low waist while still following dress code, but students have found no problem pairing their jeans or skirt with a sweater or longer top. 

Prep-School Aesthetic:  

A trend that is loved by students is preparatory school inspired outfits. Think New England boarding schools and Gilmore Girls. This trend brings back conservative uniform-like outfits and turns them modern – or as Prada calls it, “stripping them down.” The prep-school look is seen in every corner of campus this fall. Examples include frilly white button-ups with plaid pleated skirts or loafers paired with white socks. Being worn in a semi-formal yet stylish way, loafers first became popular among Ivy League students and are now one of the few effortless chic items that meet LFA’s semi-formal dress code.

Overstated Jewelry:

Chunky jewelry is funky and awesome. Oversized jewelry is the perfect accessory to subtly or boldly display personal expression, as it can be adapted to fit every style. Students have embraced personal expression through accessories. It’s noticeable and looks good with everything. Statement pieces like a big ring or several oversized chains and bangles can elevate an otherwise simple school outfit. 

Sustainable Fashion:

The resurgence of thrifting clothes arose recently not only for its classics, but also because of its sustainability. The thrifting experience provokes serendipity: people can always count on finding unique items of good quality rather than identical ones sold to replicate microtrends. As seen around campus, students have started to abandon the wastefulness of buying clothes that they’ll only wear for a couple of weeks. A growing number of students choose recycled clothes as a more sustainable option instead of discarding fast fashion clothes. 

Unisex Style: 

When people look for individualized beauty without pretense, gender is no longer limited to designers. Clothing that embodies unisex beauty allows people to experience the diversity that fashion can provide. Unisex style clothing can be traced back to the Roaring Twenties, where wartime drove the rapid convergence of gender-neutral pieces in replace of overly-feminine clothing. Such trends created a new aesthetics for all gender expressions disregarding gender. Loafers, for example, were no longer men-exclusive since Audrey Hepburn was the first actress to start wearing them in movies. Girls wear chunky chelsea boots with feminine dresses to show their androgenuous side; boys also wear them as a fashion accessory. Even today in 2022, unisex style remained an unstoppable fashion trend.