Protests erupt over cancelled sports

Photo by Akindele Aboyade-Cole

Junior Akindele Aboyade-Cole winning an aerial dual during a soccer game in the fall of 2019, before masks were a concern

David Oluwole, Staff writer

This past year, life has drastically changed for countless people around the world. The Coronavirus has extensively changed lifestyles and sanitization protocols everywhere, globally.

As the Coronavirus continues to hinder activities such as sports and concerts, the feedback from people wanting to return to their normal lifestyle is prevalent.

In Illinois, most fall sports were postponed. Although, LFA has done a great job in providing students opportunities to still train and play their sport as a PE, most schools don’t have that option.

As schools delay or cancel sports seasons, the reception from parents and players have sometimes been uncooperative.

Many people protested in order to change Governor Pritzkers ruling. As parents and athletes tried to find ways to get on the field, Governor Pritzker didn’t budge. Priztker stated in a daily briefing, “my job, in part, is to weigh those choices but it is also to listen to the doctors. What I want most of all is to keep these kids, and their parents, and their grandparents, their neighbors, and their friends safe. This virus is still out there. It is still being transmitted.”

Although many students’ futures ride on sports, it’s hard to allow sports to resume when there’s a virus that has killed over a million people all over the world. The state of Illinois had a difficult decision to make, but ultimately chose to protect human life.

Many neighboring states, including Indiana, have carried on with sports. Many students-athletes in Illinois chose to move to Indiana solely to be able to play this season. Those states have also steadily seen a rise in cases.

When asked about his experiences with the cancellation of sports, senior basketball player Jake Wolf said that “Although it’s tough to be uncertain whether there will be a season, it’s of utmost important to stay safe in these troubling times.”

Although it is unfortunate that many students don’t have the athletic outlet to help them either deal with issues or have an opportunities to play in college, it is more important to value the human life that would be at risk if there was a lack of restrictions.