LFA gets a new orchestra teacher

David Oluwole, Staff Writer

The new year has seen key changes happen throughout Lake Forest Academy. One of the main changes is the departure of Mr. Schlipman, who was the teacher in charge of Orchestra. With his unexpected departure an alternate teacher needed to be found. With a bit of luck, Ms. Stephenson was found.

Ms. Stephesnon is a professional violinist and has played with many different orchestras, beginning at a young age. When speaking to her it was apparent that she had a diverse experience and knowledge in music. She said that “In high school, I was a member of the Chicago Youth Symphony, which was a very inspirational experience.” She majored in violin performance in college and gained experience performing in Italy with the Spoleto Festival Orchestra in the summer.

Ms. Stephesnon also currently plays with the Lake Forest Symphony, Elgin Symphony, and the Milwaukee Ballet Orchestra. Not only does she have performance experience, but she has also continually taught students in various capacities because of her love of sharing knowledge. She also states that she “conducted a string orchestra at the Community School of Naples, which is a private school similar in size to LFA”. She taught music to young children at the Lake Forest Country Day School and has maintained a studio of private violin and viola students for many years.

When asked about her hopes for the orchestra program she said that “LFA has a very strong orchestra program, and I am thrilled to work with such talented and motivated students!” She also stated that her goal, “is to challenge them with exciting repertoire, to help them grow as individual musicians, and as an ensemble.” She wants to inspire her students to perform to the best of their ability and to play their instruments well beyond their time at LFA.

Ms. Stephesnon has had an easy transition into the school community, because of the friendly and supportive faculty, staff, and students. She states that “the culture that I have observed here is caring, collaborative, and inclusive.” She believes that LFA has a school culture that allows students and teachers to create and learn with few boundaries. She lastly said, “this is an incredible place to work, but it does not feel like work! I look forward to coming to LFA each day”.