The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

South Korea’s lowest fertility rate reached 0.78

Harsh+working+environment+not+suitable+for+pregnant+women.+
Photo by Courtesy of Creative Commons
Harsh working environment not suitable for pregnant women.

South Korea is facing a demographic challenge as women are choosing to have fewer children, or none at all, grappling with its lowest fertility rate in history. Due to the lack of support from the workplace, the rise in the cost of living, and Korea’s lack of childcare services, the fertility rate – the average number of children born to a woman in her reproductive years – is now 0.78, according to figures released by the Korean government in February. Roughly one child per two women. This decline is not unique to South Korea; it reflects a global trend of decreasing birth rates, raising concerns about the future stability of populations worldwide. 

According to the last ten years of available data, marriage rates are down more than 35%, as more South Koreans increasingly prioritize work over starting a family. The declining marriage rate can be seen as one result of extreme work culture coupled with ongoing gender issues leading women in South Korea to make a choice: a child or a career. Although the law permits up to a year of maternity leave, many companies often pressure mothers not to exercise their rights. Given the country’s hyper-competitive business culture, these women may feel averse to taking leave for fear of making co-workers resentful about how that might lower productivity. Hyeokjin Cho, currently residing in Korea, said, “South Korea has a male-centric corporate culture.” He further explained how Korean workplaces are still very male-dominated, and companies assume that women will stop working when they have a child; hence, they see no reason to promote them or give them responsibilities. 

Furthermore, among the thorniest issues is the lack of affordable housing – particularly in major cities like Seoul that have been drawing growing numbers of young people from the countryside with prospects of better educational and job opportunities. Cho added how people in their 20s and 30s often say, “I’ll have kids once I have my own place.” However, with so much competition for an apartment in Seoul – where 18% of South Korea’s population is concentrated – young people find it difficult to afford a place of their own and start a family. Then there is the cost of private education. From age four, children are sent to an array of extra-curricular classes. The practice is so common that to opt out is seen as setting your child up to fail. This expense of supporting your children has become a financial burden for the parents, leading them to avoid having children.
  Seojoon Lee’25, a student from Seoul, South Korea, suggested a multifaceted solution to the country’s declining birth rates. He mentioned that “transforming societal norms and structures to support prospective parents is important.” Lee advocated for improved workplace policies, particularly for mothers, to enable them to balance career and family responsibilities without fear of repercussions. Addressing gender inequality in corporate culture was another crucial aspect, as he highlighted the need for equal opportunities for women. Additionally, Lee pointed out the importance of tackling the housing affordability crisis, especially in major cities like Seoul, to alleviate financial barriers to starting a family. He also emphasized the burden of private education costs on families and proposed reevaluating societal norms surrounding education to reduce financial strain. Through comprehensive reforms in workplaces, housing policies, and education systems, Lee suggested that South Korea could create a more supportive environment for families and potentially reverse the trend of declining birth rates.