The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

Trump and his charges: Making history

Trump’s mughsot taken in Florida.
Photo by Fulton County Jail
Trump’s mughsot taken in Florida.

Past presidents have gone through many scandals during United States history as mistakes are made and certain decisions do not sit well with the public. Despite this, there has never once been a president charged with any federal crime until now. Former President Trump is the first president in the United States to ever be charged with any federal crime, as he has now been indicted on four counts. This investigation has been going on for 2 years and is now being brought to light as it was recently revealed that he was believed to have illegally overturned the 2020 election.

Although his charges are because of the belief that he tried to overturn the 2020 election, the charges fall under an act called the Espionage Act. The Espionage Act is an act that covers anything that is considered to be disloyal or dangerous to the United States, including acquiring information with the intent to harm the U.S. His charges also include obstruction of justice, destruction or falsification of records, conspiracy, and false statements rooted in incidents which include him persuading his attorney to hide classified documents to mislead the FBI, paying $130,000 to an adult film star under his company as buisness expenses, as well as possible election interference in Georgia. A trial date has been set and changed many times by Trump’s attorneys, but it has been promised that the trial will be broadcasted to the public, much like how Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s trial was.

As stated before, presidents have gone through multiple scandals in the past, but Trump is the first to be federally charged. However, with the direction the country has been headed in, was it inevitable that this would eventually occur? Jessica Kapadia, a Department Chair of the History Department at LFA, believes  this was an inevitable act stating, “This is a reflection of the division around and between this country. Our country is so divided that we feel the need to attack each other.” Along with that, Kapadia noted that this court case will probably not change the way that Trump’s supporters feel about him going into the 2024 election. Even though it might damage his eligibility, she says, “The trial will not change anybody’s minds,” acknowledging that many who are watching, supporters or rivals, are not watching to change their own minds.

As the trials get closer with new information coming out each day, it will be enticing to see how the race plays out and if it will have any impact on the 2024 election.