The student news site of Lake Forest Academy

The Spectator

Breaking News
  • February 15Enjoy the Long Weekend!

The Spectator

The Spectator

What’s coming next in sports

Photo by @ringochiu
Lionel Messi smiling toward the crowd.

As school starts up again, there is one thing that gets our hopes up and brings us happiness–fall sports. When the leaves on the trees start changing colors, we know that cheering for our favorite teams and athletes is around the corner. Sports are a fun way to take a break from the craziness of the new school year, but one should be aware of the changes coming for the new seasons.   

In September, sports enthusiasts find themselves on the brink of the football season. Stadiums that were once quiet for months on end now fill with high energy crowds, chants, screams, and excitement reverberating from the field and beyond. People all across the country prepare themselves for months for the non-stop football of the NFL, colleges, high schools, and more. Players experience the same excitement as they are now able to showcase their talents and athleticism once again. Endless crowds find spirit and joy through football and having it finally return is always worshiped.

When it comes to the other type of football, the majority of top-tier players take their talents to Europe. However, when Lionel Messi, who is often hailed as one of the greatest to ever step foot on the soccer field, transitioned to playing soccer in the MLS (Major League Soccer) with Inter Miami, it boosted the global recognition within the area. Even though the MLS had made significant changes in years past, his arrival brought new appreciation towards the league. Varsity soccer player Sami Awada ‘24 stated in regards to Messi’s switch, “Having the best player in the world join a league will bring more awareness to soccer in the United States, and more eyes on the MLS”. In other words, his level of play will likely establish more popularity in the United States, and bring in fans who had not initially expressed love towards the sport. 

Shifting away from the US and back to Europe, one of golf’s greatest traditions will take place at the end of the month in Rome. The Ryder Cup is a biennial battle between Europe and the US in a fight for golf supremacy. For golf fans this event shapes their year as it is a source of national pride for the country/continent.  Team USA dominated the event two years ago and is looking to defend their title from 2021. However they approach the event as an underdog as they haven’t won on European soil in 30 years. In commenting on the significance of this event, Varsity golfer Christian Martinez ‘25 says “[The Ryder Cup] generates significant excitement among golf fans. It’s important to the world because it’s USA’s best players vs Europe’s best players and those are two very different playing styles going head to head.” It will be a true sight  to see who takes the title in Rome. 

Fall sports bring happiness and excitement to both fans and athletes, uniting everyone in the spirit of the season.