Sonia retires from snack bar

Photo by ""

The Lake Forest Academy community is one of great diversity and support. Every student, teacher and faculty member plays a significant role in shaping and benefitting the school. While everyone that passes through LFA leaves his/her own impression, few have been able to leave as big a mark as Snack Bar Manager Sonia DeCastro. Sonia has been apart of the LFA community for years and will be greatly missed by all as she retires from working at the Academy.

“She has always had a kind word for everyone and her smiles touched all who came in contact with her,” said Chief Administrative Officer Andrew Kerr on Sonia and her effect on LFA.

Many in the LFA community believe Sonia’s contributions to LFA have been endless. Sonia grew up in the Philippines and was a Home Economics teacher before coming to the United States. She has been working at the Academy for more than 22 years and would’ve celebrated her 23rd year in September. She was first hired as a member of the Sodexo staff on September 1, 1992 and shortly after began her work managing the snack bar. Originally, only open between meals from 9:00 to 10:30 and 1:30 to 4:30, the snack bar was located in Hutch and was a simple table with snacks and drinks rolled up and into place. The snack bar quickly grew and moved to the back corner of Hutch, behind the book bag rack. Students would choose what they wanted from the large selection of chips, candy and drinks and pay Sonia in cash. In fall of 2010, the same year that Crown was opened, Sonia’s Snack Bar was moved into its current location in the Student Center, allowing more products to be sold and students to be served. Selling everything from Ramen noodles to Honey Nut Cheerios cereal, and practically every flavor Snapple you can think of, Sonia and her snack bar have become a truly legendary part of LFA.

Sadly, over the course of the past few months, Sonia became very ill. She has been getting better and recovering day by day, according to school sources, but becomes tired quite easily. After discussing with her family and doctors, Sonia has decided the best approach for her would be to retire from Lake Forest Academy.

“I am going to miss everything about LFA. I will especially miss all of the students and faculty that made working at LFA very memorable and worthwhile,” said Sonia on her departure and her fondest memories at the Academy.

LFA’s students have been definitely saddened by Sonia’s absence because many remember her as one of the kindest and most genuine members of the LFA community. One student stated that her legacy at LFA will never be forgotten.

Video extras

Sonia’s appearance at January 30 Morning Meeting

http://youtu.be/6rgNSmCx5cY

Sonia speaks with students after Morning Meeting

http://youtu.be/UQOvMh4afE4

Sonia speaks with students after her last Morning Meeting appearance at LFA.Photo by Courtesy of Catherine Morrison