Boosters administered on campus

Shylee Saladi, Editor-in-Chief

From the start of the pandemic, LFA as a community has persevered and gone through great lengths to keep its students in-person and healthy. Many people were amazed when the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines were FDA approved as it allowed for many students to return back to school all across the country—especially when it became available for younger children. 

A COVID booster shot being prepared to be administered.

Just before this school year started, the Pfizer and Moderna boosters became available for people working on the front lines, and by now, the Pfizer booster has become widely available for everyone over the age of twelve who also got the two Pfizer or Moderna vaccines five months before getting the booster. 

The boosters are currently offered at LFA for those eligible to receive it. Anna Kliner, the Director of Health Services, has set up a partnership “with a local organization who administers the vaccines.” This is being offered “as a service to our community especially our minor boarding students [students below age of 18] who may find it logistically challenging to access boosters off campus” Kliner said. The overall vaccination rate throughout LFA has increased drastically over the past year, and hopefully with the administration of the booster, students will have even more protection against the new variant. This will lead to fewer students attending school via Zoom, and a “boost” to the school environment. 

Though LFA has not required boosters to participate in any of the weekend events or school trips, some outside companies and organizations may require the booster. Many school trips that usually take place in the spring do not currently have a certified yes or no from the school due to the high number of COVID-19 cases surrounding the destination of the trip, but no trips have been canceled since the LFA students could not go to the Illinois High School Theater Festival and the usual Model UN trip was made virtual.

Having these dates to get boosted will allow students to get boosted for the trips that require it as well as a higher vaccination rate for the school in general. The main goal of the vaccines and boosters are to “provide increased protection against severe disease requiring hospitalization and death,” as Kliner explained. Neither the booster nor the vaccine are supposed to prevent getting COVID-19, but lessen the severity when or if you do get it. 

The CDC encourages people to get their booster in order to prevent serious symptoms. Having less symptoms not only gives you a better time with your health during COVID, but gives you a chance to return earlier from quarantine. The booster gives you the opportunity to miss less of the classroom, your friends, and life in general.