Advice for New Students

Rachel Johns, Staff Writer

Stay on top of your work
It’s really important to do all of your homework in a timely fashion. Be aware that you may have to start your homework before study hours if you want to complete your homework by 10 PM. Study hours are a useful time to work, but it is not the only time you should study. You should also plan ahead and manage your time for long term projects. Communicate with your partners on group projects to figure out when everyone can work together, and don’t start major assignments the night before they›re due. Stay motivated through all of your work. You can do it.
Be organized 
Organization is the key to productivity. Organizing your folders and notebooks will make your studying much more efficient. Keeping a neat and orderly room will have similar effects. Overall, organization is a very important part of having a successful school year.
Get some rest
   LFA is a rigorous school that requires a lot from its students, but it’s also important to take a break once in a while. Between classes, sports, clubs, and homework, it’s easy to forget to make time for yourself. Take five-minute breaks for every hour that you study. Most importantly, you should get as much sleep as you can each night. Start your homework earlier in the day so you can go to bed around 10 or 11 PM at night. Don’t stay up all night studying for an exam; study the core concepts for an hour or two and then get to bed by eleven. You won’t be that productive at school if you’re tired all day.
Try new things
High school is a prime time to try new things. The Club Fair is a great opportunity to expand your horizons. LFA has so many different clubs that cater to varied areas of interest, such as Robotics Club, Film Society, VOX, Future Business Leaders of America, Dance Club, and Math Team. There are also community service clubs, where students can give back to their communities: Interact, Stepping Stones, Amnesty International, Nuestro Center, and Caxy Keys. Affinity groups at LFA help students find other people who have similar experiences and backgrounds.These affinity groups include but are not limited to: Black Student Union, Unidos, Asian American Association, Jewish Student Union, Christian Fellowship for Caxy’s, Muslim Student Association, Harlow Society, and Gender and Sexuality Alliance. If you feel a new club is needed, LFA encourages students to start and lead their own clubs.
Talk to new people
Challenge yourself to befriend people you don’t know. High school is an opportunity to branch out, and you should take advantage of that. Don’t be afraid to talk to people you haven’t met yet. It’s especially important to get to know the other players on the teams that you are a part of, because it will improve the team dynamic which in turn will improve the games themselves.
Give it your all
Give 100% of your effort to everything you try this year, whether it’s your sports teams, your clubs, or your classes. LFA has countless opportunities, so it would be wise to take advantage of them. Take on challenges and embrace new experiences. You’ll never know how far you can go until you go there.
Have fun
Really try to embrace everything about the present and enjoy it. High school only lasts four years, and you should try to appreciate every moment. Take advantage of all the fun weekend activities and van runs. Laugh with your friends about your misadventures. Don’t forget to take a moment to remember it all.