Caxy Cuisine: The great Thai food debate

Rachel Johns and Tyler Watts, Staff Writers

For ages, a single question has divided LFA—which is better: Tasty Thai or Sushi Thai?

To settle the debate, the Spectator did some investigating to resolve this debate once and for all. We ordered the same classic dishes from each restaurant and had them delivered to campus. 

Tasty Thai answered the phone promptly and took our orders efficiently. They told us that our food would be delivered in 45 minutes, and the food arrived exactly 45 minutes later. When we called Sushi Thai, they confidently told us that our food would be delivered in “not over 45 minutes” and followed through on their promise, with our food arriving 28 minutes later.

Upon delivery, the food from Tasty Thai was warm, but the steam coming off of Sushi Thai’s food made it evident that it was much hotter. 

The first staple we sought to compare from the restaurants was appetizers. Tasty Thai offered the Thai Platter, a sampler dish of all the restaurant’s most popular starters. It included two of each item offered: vegetable tempura, egg rolls, potstickers, crispy shrimp, chicken satay, miniature fish cakes, and crab rangoon. The platter cost a total of $13.95. Since Sushi Thai did not offer a sampler platter, we ordered two separate appetizers–egg rolls and potstickers– which was a total of $12.90. 

It was our consensus that the potstickers from Sushi Thai were definitely better. The batter was perfectly crisp and the filling was savory and mouth-watering. The balance of meat and vegetables within the fried shell was perfect. The potstickers from Tasty Thai were lukewarm, overcooked (with a too-chewy exterior), and were slightly burnt. 

However, Tasty Thai sought redemption in their egg roll. They were better than Sushi Thai’s in the sense that Tasty’s egg rolls had a variety of perfectly cooked fresh vegetables that complimented the crisp outer layer of the egg roll. Sushi Thai’s egg rolls, on the other hand, were stuffed full of ground chicken, with a thick meat taste that was less palatable especially since they were coupled with minimal spice and seasoning. 

As for the main dishes, Tasty Thai’s pad thai was drenched in sauce, and all the components, such as peanuts, were already mixed in the dish upon delivery. Sushi Thai’s pad thai had less sauce, and the large amount of vegetables and peanuts were left on top of the noodles for the customer to mix on their own.

Fried rice was the second dish that we decided to order. The first to arrive, Sushi Thai set the bar high with their vegetable fried rice. The dish was hearty, with a blend of diced peppers, onions, carrots, and pieces of fried egg. The rice was somewhat sticky but rich in texture. Sadly, Tasty Thai’s vegetable fried rice could hardly compare. While the whole pieces of broccoli, wider carrot slices, and sweet baby corns were enjoyable for crunch and nutrition, the rice lacked a thin savory sauce, which is crucial to a well rounded fried rice. Although there were hints of salt and soy sauce, the rice was nowhere near a knockout. In general, Tasty Thai’s rice would be an upset to sauce enthusiasts, but perhaps a healthier alternative for a customer seeking a “lighter” fried rice.     

Both restaurants gave large portions of food, but Tasty Thai’s portions were slightly larger.

On that note, Tasty Thai’s entrees cost less than Sushi Thai’s entrees; however, the price for each restaurant ended up being nearly identical. The total costs of food and delivery from each restaurant for multiple people totaled to $40.18 for Tasty Thai and $40.42 for Sushi Thai. 

In the end, no restaurant really triumphed over the other. Both establishments provided delicious food, good service, and had their own unique strengths. Sushi Thai is great for quick delivery and piping hot food, while Tasty Thai offers large portions and delectable appetizers.

Until the next time with Caxy Cuisine.